I read a really great article today that talked about finishing off the year strong. I hold a certain amount of faith in the future but it was really empowering and refreshing to read something that calls for action in the present.
The article asks readers to list 15 of the best things done this year and 5 things we wish we had done, but didn’t. It really had me start thinking about how transformative a year it has been. After having a crazy and exciting 2014, I didn’t think this year would top it…but now that I think of it, I’d say 2015 was better. Okay, I didn’t backpack Europe and fall in love this year, but change crept up in unexpected ways and quietly, 2015 became a landmark year.
So here are my lists; 15 of the best things I did and 5 things I wish I did:
- Chris and I took our first vacation together and headed south to Miami & Key West.
- I curbed my materialism. I’m not going to say I stopped shopping, but I do shop less and give away more.
- I learned how to relax once in a while. I still have that overachiever bug in me but I finally feel comfortable giving myself a break every now and then.
- I finished books! Lots of books. It’s been a long time coming, really.
- I graduated college! Honestly, it was a relief to have it be done but it didn’t feel life changing. Maybe I’m still in denial.
- I saved money.
- I became a more organized, neater, and patient person.
- I dedicated time to building relationships. This has been important to me, and something I really neglected in college. It feels good to spend time with friends again.
- I cut out toxicity. On the flip side of number 11, I finally embraced that it’s okay to put myself first and not always dedicate my time and energy to others, especially when those actions don’t serve me in any way.
- I trained for a marathon. I didn’t run a marathon, but I got to the last 6 weeks or so of training, and I think that’s still something to be proud of. Hasn’t been in my cards yet but I’m determined to do it.
- I worked my ass off. This year has been challenging in a multitude of ways. I’ll leave it at that.
- I finished Breaking Bad. I miss Jesse.
- I tried new recipes. And by recipes, I mean winging it in the kitchen and hoping it turns out well.
- I started my first *real* job.
- I pushed myself out of my comfort zone. Which, if you ask me, should happen every year. If you’re never uncomfortable, you’re not growing.
- Also want to add that I started using coconut oil (life changing, really) and cut off all my hair.
5 Things I didn’t do this year but wish I did:
- Finish a marathon. (Without injury!)
- Buy less. (I’m getting there…)
- Travel abroad.
- Move out of state.
- Cut meat and dairy out of diet.
I’ve already got some exciting ideas for 2016, but I’m realizing there’s really no reason to wait for January 1st. I’m ready to start tackling my goals now.
How do you guys plan on finishing 2015 strong? Let me know in the comment section!